Friday, July 17, 2015

Chocolate, Children and Charity




Can you remember the first time you tasted chocolate? Probably not. Well these children do.

They live in a region where cocoa bean plants are plentiful, yet they were almost teenagers when they got the opportunity to first taste the chocolate that those cocoa beans are turned into. They are surrounded by the main ingredient of chocolate, yet had no concept of the value of the raw material to people in developed countries. It's like living on a vineyard and having no idea that your grapes can make wine!

In the UK and all over the world, chocolate isn't a luxury item and we don't think twice about going into a shop to buy a bar if we get a sudden craving for a sugary treat.

Well imagine if chocolate was as hard to get your hands on as diamonds. Imagine living in a remote village with no means of transportation apart from your own two feet. Imagine having no shops within travelling distance, having no electricity in your home, and no money. Imagine if the only food you had to eat was produce that you had grown yourself. For most people this environment is alien and unimaginable.
Sadly it is the reality for thousands of people living in poverty across rural Africa, where families often survive on just $1 a day to feed their children, they cannot afford basic medical care and everyday is a struggle.

These children and their families have been stuck in a cycle of poverty that has been passed down through generations, and it is extremely hard to break out of that cycle. When you have lived in poverty for your whole life and have watched your parents and grandparents do the same, it is hard to imagine that there is another way of living.


Here at Ripples Foundation, we are showing Africa a better way.

By empowering women through work, providing education to children and medical care to whole communities, we are connecting rural villages to the rest of the world, opening the door to opportunities from around the globe, and proving that the future for Africa can be bright.

It is shocking to us that the distribution of wealth across the world is so vast, with studies showing that the combined wealth of the richest 1% of people worldwide is higher than the combined wealth of the other 99% of people on the planet. In the UK, US and other wealthier countries, we have the luxury to spend our money on whatever we like. Wouldn’t it be great if we could use that opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of people less fortunate than ourselves, and create a world of equal opportunity for all? In the words of the Dalai Lama, We all share this planet Earth, we have to learn to live in harmony and peace with each other…”, and it would be fantastic to see us work together to make the world a better place.
Our goal is to spread our message of kindness and encourage people to give a little to make a big difference to people’s lives.

So how can you make change happen in the lives of children such as these and their families?



Firstly, you can donate to one of our projects and contribute towards projects that assist African villages in things such as medical care, women’s enterprise projects or educational initiatives. Visit http://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/bme-concern and give as much as you can - every penny you can spare will be greatly apprieciated by us here. Your donation will go towards a pool of money used to deliver Ripples Foundation projects to rural villages in Africa, and help children like those above to look forward to a life free of poverty, and have brighter hopes for the future.

Secondly, you can help us to spread awareness of our work online, and encourage more people to support our cause. Visit our website www.ripplesfoundation.ngo for more information on all our projects, and share our social media pages on Facebook www.facebook.com/ripples.foundation and Twitter www.twitter.com/ripplesngo. Check out our YouTube channel www.youtube.com/ripplesinafrica where you can take a look at some of the projects that we are running in Africa at the moment. The more people that support us, the more people we can help!

Change can happen in Africa - we just need enough people with the passion and determination to make it happen.

So the next time you tuck into a bar of chocolate, we encourage you to think of the joy that these children experienced from that simple treat, look at how much we take for granted, and ask yourself what you can do to help them live a life free from poverty.


Alysha Bennett Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.