Friday, March 18, 2016

An Insight To Kibera


Kibera, October 2008
Photo by - Colin Crowley


Ripples is concerned about the welfare of women all over the world, not just in the countries where we currently work, but also in other countries where women are also at a disadvantage. Our duty is to empower the women; they are the mothers of the next generation and they are already raising and educating the children of Africa. One area that is notorious for being a hotspot for corruption is Kibera.


For those who do not know, Kibera is on the outskirts of Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya. Within Nairobi there are approximately 2.5 million people living in slums over 200 different settlements. They represent a staggering 60% of the Nairobi population but occupy just 6% of the land. Kibera is the biggest slum in Nairobi and indeed one of the biggest in Africa, and is home to about 250,000 people. The Kenyan Government owns all the land. 10% of people are shack owners and many of these people own many other shacks and let them out to tenants. The remaining 90% of residents are tenants with no rights.

An average-sized shack in this area is 12ft x 12ft built with mud walls, a corrugated tin roof with a dirt or concrete floor. The cost is about KES 700 per Month (£6). These shacks often house up to 8 or more with many sleeping on the floor. They offer little to no protection against the weather, and living in such close quarters with no sanitation makes Kibera the perfect place for infectious diseases to spread.  

Kibera, July 2005
Photo by - hris1johnson


Only about 20% of Kibera has electricity. The cost of providing street lighting and electricity connections for shacks would cost KES 900 per shack, which is clearly not affordable for residents. Due to the lack of sex education and many men still not using condoms, many girls become pregnant. At any one time about 50% of 16 to 25 yr old girls are pregnant. Most of these pregnancies are unwanted, resulting in many cases of abortion. This can be very dangerous, particularly in such a poor area as Kibera.



In Kibera there are no clinics or hospitals, young women in slums aged between 15-24 are contracting HIV at a rate 5x times that of their male counterparts and as a consequence, many women in the community are forced to care not only for their own children, but for the children of neighbours or relatives that have passed away from this disease. No woman should have to live in fear of pregnancy. No woman should have to live with HIV when there are ways that it can be prevented.



Ripples Foundation works with village communities in West Africa to ensure that they can have access to medical care even when there is no hospital or clinic available. Ripples Medical MOT programme allows us to bring the availability of essential medical resources to various villages in Africa. We currently work in 3 countries in West Africa: Nigeria, Cameroon and Ghana. We dispense free medication and consultations to around 1200 - 2500 citizens in each village and go to great lengths to keep the local hospitals stocked so the villagers have access to basic healthcare. We offer HIV assessments through local hospital’s that aims to catch the disease before it becomes severe for the patient.

 



We need your support to keep making change happen for African villagers. We do not want to see more people living in conditions like you see in Kibera. With the help of your support and donations, we can continue to hold these Medical MOT’s on a regular basis, giving villagers a better chance of living a long and healthy life. This not only makes a healthier community but it unites communities, allowing families and local enterprises to grow, move forward and break the cycle of poverty.



Please help us make change happen. Donate today. Visit http://www.totalgiving.co.uk/appeal/medicalmot





Bibliography: www.kibera.org.uk/facts-info/

Saheed abdul Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.